A Three-Day Continuous Rehabilitation Education (CRE) Programme on “Addressing Barriers in the Environment and Universal Design” was organized at FDMSE – RKMVERI, Coimbatore Campus in collaboration with National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMD),Muttukadu, Chennai from 29.08.2019 to 31.08.2019. Inaugural function of the programme was held on 29.08.2019 at 10.00 am. Dr. N.Muthaiah, Dean, FDMSE delivered the special address and Ms. Shreemathi, Electronic Engineer, Department of Speech and Hearing, NIEPMD highlighted the purpose of the programme. Twenty seven candidates (Male – 2 & Female – 25) attended the programme.
The outcome of the programme:
Participants could understand about
- The concept of Universal Design and Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and its principles.
- Environmental barriers and ways to address them
- Barriers in Universal Design with reference to general curriculum
- Challenges in physical environment and solutions (Classroom environment, Laboratory, Library)
- Universal Design solutions with reference to students with visual impairment, hearing impairment, communication disorders and intellectual disability
- Inclusive classroom routines, Challenges and Solutions
- The need for preparing UDL lesson plans with respect to different subjects.