State level Workshop on “Gymnastics and Mallakhamb”
(Inclusive of Persons with Disabilities)
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University, Faculty of General & Adapted Physical Education and Yoga (GAPEY) has organised the State Level Workshop on “Gymnastics and Mallakhamb (Inclusive of Persons with Disabilities)” at GKD Auditorium and RKMVU, Faculty of GAPEY Multi-purpose hall on 2nd and 3rd September, 2016. The workshop was started with inaugural function on 2nd September 2016 at 10.00 am in GKD Auditorium. In the inaugural function Revered Swami Nirmaleshanandaji Maharaj, Assistant Secretary, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatoredelivered the Benedictory address. Dr. K. Chandrasekaran, Professor and Head, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai wasas the Chief Guest in the function and presentedthe Chief Guest address. Dr. S. Alagesan, Professor & Head, Faculty of GAPEY gave the welcome address and presented an introduction about the workshop. Dr. M. Srinivasan, Assistant Professor, Faculty of GAPEY explained the theme of the workshop. The objectives of the workshop are:
- To create awareness about the gymnastics and Mallakhamb among physical educationists.
- To produce numerous international level gymnasts like Deepa Karmakar
- To propagate our traditional art “Mallakhamb” among the Physical Educationists and public.
- To introduce gymnastics and Mallakhamb to the children with disabilities for the betterment of their physical and mental development. At the same time, to provide opportunities to the special children to exhibit their talent and potentials.
- To experience the physical and mental developments through the participation in gymnastics and Mallakhamb.
Dr. PJ. Sebastian, Professor, Faculty of GAPEY deliveredvote of thanks.The first session of the workshop was started with Mallakhamb. Sri. Nijanthanan @ Ganesh. K, Chairman, Technical Committee, Tamil Nadu Mallakhamb Association & National Judge and Sri. S. Janarthanan, Secretary, Tamil Nadu Mallakhamb Association acted as Resource Persons and they professionally explained the history and rules & regulations of the pole mallakhamb and rope mallakhamb. Further they demonstrated all the events in pole and rope mallakhamb with their students namely Sivasakthi, Karthika, Sangeetha, Swetha, Selvamozhiyan and Naveen. Also they provided opportunities to all the participants for practising pole and rope mallakhamb. In this session, RKMVU, Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education, Play therapy unit special children performed pole mallakhamb and the participants appreciated the performance of the children. GAPEY students also exhibited the pole mallakhamb pyramid and the audience appreciated the performance of the students.Dr. S.Alagesan, Professor & Head, honoured the resource persons and mallakhambers with mementoes.
The second day of the workshop started with Gymnastics. Sri. K. Chinnusamy, Retd, Gymnastic Coach, SDAT, Coimbatore and Sri. K. Syed Ibrahim, Gymnastic Coach, SDAT, Coimbatore acted as Resource persons for Gymnastics. They nicely explained the rules & regulation and scoring system and various gymnastic events with power point and videos. They attractively demonstrated the most of the events in gymnastics namely Floor events, Vaulting events, Parallel bar events, horizontal bar events, and trampoline events with thirty gymnasts. These gymnasts are medallists at state level and national level competitions. The resource persons provided the opportunities to all the participants for practising gymnastics events. The participants appreciatedthe performance of the gymnasts from various age category and gender.
560 delegates from various institutions in Tamil Nadu have participated as delegates in the workshop as follows.
- Avinashilingam University for women, Coimbatore
- CMS Arts College, Coimbatore.
- Alagappa University College of Physical Education, Karaikudi.
- Selvam College of Physical Education, Namakkal.
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
- Bharadithasan University, Trichy.
- Anna University Engineering College, Tirunelveli.
- Madras Christian College, Chennai.
- Maruthi College of Physical Education, Coimbatore.
- Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University, Coimbatore.
The workshop concluded with a valedictory function. In the function, Revered SwamiGarishthanandaji Maharaj, Assistant Secretary, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatore distributed the certificates to the delegates and honoured the delegates and gymnasts with mementos. Dr. VST. Saikumar, Principal and Secretary, delivered the Chief Guest address. Dr. PJ. Sebastian, Professor, Faculty of GAPEY, welcome the dignitaries, delegates, and the students. Three delegates presented the feedback about the workshop and they mentioned that they have learned many new skills and events.They noted that the organisation was excellent and appreciated the resource persons and preparation of various mallakhamb and gymnastic equipments. Dr. M. Srinivasan, Assistant Professor, Faculty of GAPEY, presented a Brief Report about the workshop. Dr. S. Alagesan, Professor& Head, Faculty of GAPEY, delivered the vote of thanks.